Sunday, May 3, 2009

Week Four - Still in Spain



These past two weeks have been peppered with an out of town wedding and the running of a half marathon. Though I didn't get the blog posts up as soon as I would have liked I certainly still continued to drink my $10 bottles!

During week four we enjoyed two more Spanish wines both still from the Calatayud DO. Upon the recommendation from a helpful employee at the local Big Red Liquor Store I chose two to taste against one another.

I first tasted the 2006 Tres Ojos red, this is the same Tres Ojos whose rose I tasted in week three. Its labeled as "old vine" and they really are - Kysela's website notes that the vines are at least 40 years old and some more than 50. It's worth visiting the Tres Ojos link I provided in week three to read more about this vineyard and see the pictures of the vines. They're stout bush vines with no trellis. Tasting notes indicated that it had a peppery spicy bouquet. For some reason when nosing this wine it made me think of a big Christmas or Thanksgiving dinner. After tasting it, the richness of the finish went right along with this perception. It was very nice and would be a great accompaniment to a large meal with heavy meat; this wine will stand up well.

The Bottle: 2006 Tres Ojos Old Vine Garnacha
Price: $9.99
Would I Buy This Wine Again: Not everyday because it is a pretty big wine, but perfect for a big meal.

The second wine we tried in week four was the 2006 Tinto Figaro Red Wine. Though the bottle gives no indication of the grape, the website below indicates it's 100% Garnacha. Matt tasted this one first and then we traded. After trying the Tres Ojos this one didn't quite measure up. However had I tasted it alone I think I would have been pleased. Drinking it later in the week I actually enjoyed it a bit more. I might recommend letting this wine sit in your glass for about 10 minutes before drinking it; a little oxygen goes a long way with this one. This one had a little spice to it but I definitely picked up on more of the fruit. We ended up enjoying this on the porch without food several times throughout the week and found it to be pleasing.

Another great resource from Kysela: http://www.kysela.com/spain/figaro.htm

The Bottle: 2006 Tinto Figaro Red Wine
Price: $9.99
Would I Buy This Wine Again: Probably won't be a standard go to wine but I would buy it again from time to time.

No comments:

Post a Comment