Sunday, May 10, 2009

Week Six - Rioja At Last


Matt making morel mushrooms

After several Spanish wines we have at last arrived in Rioja - perhaps the most well renowned wine producing region in Spain. I was excited about this pick - Montebuena 2006 - which Matt chose during a visit to Big Red last weekend. The wine is made entirely from Tempranill0 grapes. Unfortunately, I came down with a crazy cold/flu this week and didn't get to fully enjoy it.

We tasted it earlier in the week at a time when I couldn't taste or smell anything. Matt and I each drank a glass but didn't get much of a chance to review it. We drank it last night with pizza and still I wasn't impressed. This evening I picked up a few (10) morel mushrooms. They're in season right now though I can't seem to find them on my own and resort to paying outrageous prices for a handful of these delicious mushrooms. We sauteed them in a little butter and for the first time I enjoyed the Montebuena with the morels.

The most striking thing about this wine for me was the color in the glass; it's a very deep red. There is a big fruit on the nose and then intense tannins on the finish. The finish felt a little unbalanced but with something as rich as sauteed morel mushrooms it was just right.




The Bottle: 2006 Montebuena

Price: $9.99
Would I Buy This Wine Again: Probably not - it was a little off balance and I already have a number of better balanced wines at this price point that I find better than this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment